Granite is a course-grained, light-colored igneous rock. It forms from the slow crystallization of molten rock below Earth's surface. Granite is composed mainly of quartz and feldspar with minor amounts of mica and other minerals. This mineral composition usually gives granite a white, red, pink, or gray color with dark mineral grains throughout.
Granite has been used for thousands of years in both interior and exterior applications. Rough-cut and polished granite is used in bridges, buildings, monuments and many other exterior projects. Indoors, polished granite slabs and tiles are used for countertops, tile floors, stair treads and many other practical and decorative features.
Some benefits of granite:
- Granite countertops don't depreciate in value
- Granite is durable
- Granite is resistant to moisture
- It's a one-of-a-kind, natural surface that has an almost luminous look
- Granite adds value to your home
- It's sanitary - bacterial contamination is not a problem with granite
- Formed by heat and pressure, so it can take the heat of a pan
- It's easy to clean with warm water and a mild detergent